Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Concrete Jungle

Back in November Bryan received the Price Scholarship from the MBA program at OU.  This scholarship sends six students to New York City for the summer to take classes at NYU and work at an internship.  He has an internship at Blue Heron Research Partners and is living in the NYU graduate dorms. It is really an awesome opportunity and I know Bryan is learning so much.  BUT this means we are spending the summer apart. This stinks... a lot.  Like A LOT! I really don't like it. Nope, not at all.  Okay now that you know how much I don't like it, I will tell you that there are some good aspects of our current situation:

I have fallen in love with my plants. I don't have a dog, cat, or even a fish to take care of for the summer while Bryan is gone. So I take care of my plants. Yes, this is pathetic. But I just ate my first tomato last week!

I am learning to kill spiders. I do not like spiders. I do not really like bugs period (except ladybugs..I like them). All my life when a spider has entered into my personal space I have yelled and someone has killed it for me. Well, not anymore. Now when I see a spider my heart starts racing and I am instantly filled with anger that Bryan has left me for the summer.  But then I go and get the bug gun and shoot it. Then I stomp and stomp and stomp until I know it is really dead. At this point I get several tissues (need a thick layer) to pick up the guts and all eight legs. Then I flush it down the toilet just to make sure it leaves the house. Once I see it go all the way down I do a little dance like I just killed a dragon.

Bryan has had the opportunity to play golf on some awesome golf courses. I will let him blog about these experiences later because he will do a much better job!

And the best part about Bryan spending the summer in New York:  I get to visit him! I went June 16-21 and am going back July 1-5.  I had an amazing time with him on my last trip.  We ate a lot, shopped a lot, walked a lot, and spent a lot of money.  Some of my favorites were:

-The Met

-Central Park

-Stanton Social

-Baked by Melissa

-Mister Softee


But of course the best part was the time we spent time just being together.  I loved every moment I got to hold his hand and see his sweet smile.  It really blows my mind how much more in love with him I am everyday.  I thought when we got married there was no way I could love him any more than I did, but I was so wrong.  I guess that is the best part about love, you can't run out.  God created us out of love and to live lives of love.  Thank you God for the amazing opportunities you have placed in our lives, for the beautiful plants in our yard, for courage, for generous and caring people, and for loving each of us just the way we are (even the spiders-sorry about that by the way).

2 comments:

  1. That was so sweet! I know just what you mean about being more in love all the time. It's a crazy thing! I also thought on our wedding day I couldn't be happier or more in love, and how much it continues to grow never stops surprising me.

    Yay for the tomatoes! I'm impressed. There is nothing tastier than a homegrown tomato with a lil salt and pepper on it. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) way to kick the spider's butt.
    B) I bet you have the most amazing plants ever! Who knew you had such a green thumb?
    C) I miss you....greatly.

    ReplyDelete