Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Bridge Builder

June is my dad's month. He has three special days in June, therefore we just call it his month. My mom, sister and I spend all month fretting about what to buy him and how to celebrate.  We get all worked up and frustrated because every year we want to do something great and in the end we just get him a shirt, tie, random gadget, etc. And we end up just eating dinner at a nice restaurant. We always say, "Well next year we will do something better."  My sweet dad always says, "Girls, just spending time with you is the best gift." We roll our eyes and continue to feel like failures.

This June was almost like every other June, but different.  My parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary on June 1st.  As usual they talked and talked about doing something big, but ended up eating at Legends.  Their wedding reception was at Legends and it has always been a special place for them.  My dad also bought my mom a new (and much larger) diamond for her ring and told her that "his love had grown." So sweet!

June 8th was my dad's birthday.  The normal fretting about how to celebrate occurred and I finally offered to cook dinner at my house.  Kellie came over and helped me prepare steaks, asparagus, potatoes, salad and banana pudding. (Banana pudding is my dad's favorite- also my Poppy Gene's) It all turned out pretty yummy and we had a great evening. I could see it in my dad's eyes how much he enjoyed a relaxed evening with our family. 

June 20th was Father's Day. I totally blew it because I was in New York visiting Bryan and missed the whole day. But a couple nights later we went to Deep Fork and had a wonderful meal.  We had a great time as a family laughing and crying (we do this in my family- a lot!) We talked about a special woman my parents met a couple months ago that passed away earlier that day.  My dad said after only knowing the woman for a few moments she told him that he was "a bridge builder."  My dad was very taken by her comments to him.  I have been thinking about "the bridge builder" and how incredibly right she was.  My dad has built many "bridges" for so many people.  He is so selfless and has built my mom, sister and I some pretty incredible bridges.  We have had so many opportunities to follow our hearts and go where we believe God is leading us.  Thank you Heavenly Father for blessing me with an incredible dad. Thank you dad, for building me so many bridges and giving me the freedom and encouragement to cross when I am ready. I love you.



2 comments:

  1. so precious! I like it "bridge builder"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are a lot of people out there who love your dad as much as you do! He really is a wonderful man, and I know Matt certainly looks up to him--as do I!

    ReplyDelete