Monday, April 4, 2011

Half Marathon

We are currently spending a lot of time training to run our first half marathon.  If you know me you know that running is not really my thing.  Growing up a dancer we did not spend much time running.  Maybe a couple laps around the gym before pom practice, but that was the extent of my running career in high school.  I tried in college but was never able to run much more than a mile without having to stop and walk for a while.  Finally, once I started trying to get in shape for our wedding I got serious about running a couple miles.  Then in September of last year Bryan and I ran the Brookhaven Run a 5K that I was sooo nervous about.  It turns out that I had a lot of fun and ran the Race for the Cure the next month.  In December I decided I wanted to run the OKC Memorial Half Marathon.  It is usually the weekend of my birthday and I felt like that would be a great gift for my 25 year old body.  Well it is actually the weekend after my birthday this year (due to Easter) but I am really excited about this goal.  Sweet Bryan agreed to run it with me (because there is no way I could do it without him) and we have a had a great time training together.  I have learned about a lot of things I never knew about running:

1.  You cannot actually eat whatever you want when training.  I thought running a lot would give me a free pass to eat whatever I want....nope.  

2.  Your toenails can turn black.  Gross.  I have a black toenail just in time for sandal season. 

3.  The best way to enjoy a long run is to spend it in prayer.  I find myself praising God for the wind at my back, the legs that can still move, the air in my lungs, and the incredible man He placed at my side.  

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you! I love that time of prayer, too--although I don't do it while running. I do it when I grocery shop, do afternoon duty at school, and clean the house. It's the little things :)

    Love you too too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very proud of you Kate! And the note about the food...bummer.

    ReplyDelete