Saturday, November 6, 2010

change of season

I know.... I have been a horrible blogger.  But I am not going to apologize.  Our lives have been full, good full.  The kind where I am exhausted at the end of every day, but thankful for the moments that filled the day (and oh so thankful for our super comfortable bed).  Some of the blessings that have filled this season:

  • Bryan is finishing his last semester of the MBA program.  It is hard to believe he is almost done!  He has worked so hard and I am beyond proud of him.   
  • I am working at two wonderful schools in Norman.  I love spending time with my adorable students.  They are so full of life and joy.  I'm pretty sure they are teaching me more than I am teaching them.
  • In mid-September, my oldest cousin, Lynna, got married in Carmel, CA.  It was a gorgeous wedding on the ocean and a great weekend to share with family members we don't get to see as often as we would like.  I am so happy for Lynna and Rob. 
  • A couple weeks ago we celebrated our first anniversary.  Yes, really... a year.  I swear we were just dancing at our reception last month.  Time really does fly when you are having fun! We celebrated our anniversary and Bryan's 27th birthday (they are the same day) in Dallas.  We spent two great days just the two of us without many distractions.  Then we went to Fort Worth and spent some great time with special friends. It was a fabulous weekend!!!

  • My mom and I hosted a Halloween party at her house last weekend.  I think we may have had more fun planning the party together than the party itself!  I love spending time with my mom.  She has been blessed with the gift of hospitality.  She thinks of everything!  Which can sometimes be a problem because it is hard to do eeeeverything.  I hope to inherit this gift and show the same hospitality to family and friends.  Overall the party was a great success.  Lots of food, drinks, costumes, and laughter.
My cute dad as Carl from UP.  Best costume of the night!

Candy Bar
  • We also went to Tulsa last weekend to visit Bryan's brother, Joe and his sweet wife, Melissa.  They are such an adorable couple and we really loved the opportunity to share a couple yummy meals with them.  We only wish we could see more of them!
  • Last night I went to Irving with my book club to meet Shauna Niequist the amazing author of Cold Tangerines and Bittersweet.  She is a great writer and really speaks to my heart.  When I read her book I find myself laughing out loud, crying, and saying "YES! I knew I was not the only one."  I am so thankful for her books and my book club.
  • Today we went to Bryan's grandmother's funeral.  She passed away about a week and a half ago after a couple weeks in and out of the hospital.  I had the opportunity to spend about an hour with her in the ICU, just the two of us.  We talked, laughed, and prayed together.  I am so thankful for that hour together.  She was such an amazing woman that loved her family more than anything.
We are thankful for all that God has placed in this season of our lives.  We know big changes are ahead, but not sure of all the details.  What we do know is that God has great plans for us, and will not call us to do anything He has not already given us the ability to do.  We will keep you updated! (And NO, not a baby!!)  I will leave you with one of my favorite excerpts from Cold Tangerines that seems very appropriate for this season:

Right now, around our house, all the leaves are falling, and there is no reason that they have to turn electric bright red before they fall, but they do, and I want to live like that.  I want to say, "What can I do today that brings more beauty, more energy, more hope?"  Because it seems likes thats what God is saying to us, over and over.  "What can I do today to remind you again how good this life is?  You think the color of the sky is good now, wait till sunset.  You think oranges are good?  Try a tangerine."  He's a crazy delightful mad scientist and keeps coming back from the lab with great, unbelievable new things, and it's a gift.  It's a gift to be a part of it."  
Shauna Niequist -  Cold Tangerines


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to get one of those books and read it over the Holidays. And, YEA, for the blog update :)

    ReplyDelete